Friday, July 11, 2014

Sewing for Mallory ... one mom's story

Pin It
Today we have wonderful guest post from Tami. She has a great Etsy shop as well as a facebook page (Love Notions) so should check out what she is up to!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It’s hard to believe that I have a ‘tween, it seem like she was just born last year. Time really does fly when they’re little. My ‘tween is a ten year old named Mallory. She’ll be starting 5th grade in the fall. We've been blessed with an awesome magnet school she and her younger brother were accepted into and since Mallory’s been in school, I've been in and out of her school helping with class parties, field days, conferences and field trips. Because of my passion for sewing and design I always notice what the other kids are wearing so when I get to peek in the school you can bet I’ll be checking out what the kids these days are wearing. Mallory probably dresses the most ‘different’ of her friends. Sure, she’s got Target t-shirts, Old Navy leggings and Kohl’s shorts like the other kids but she’s also got a drawer full of Trendy Tunic’s (her favorite), a closet filled with Cartwheel Collection pieces (soon to be released), Hip-Hop Tanks, Tuxedo Dresses and other random pieces I haven’t released yet.

I design with her specifically in mind about 80% of the time. I’ll sketch something up and yell for her to come look and ask what she thinks. The most requested thing from her-- “does it have pockets?” She’s such a willing, if sometimes long suffering, model. I've been known to wake her up at 11PM to try something on. She doesn't usually remember those times. ;)

The very first piece we worked together on was a dress I named for her: The Mallory Dress. I actually haven’t released it yet, but look for it in the fall.


With all the pieces I design I keep a couple things in mind-- would I let my child wear this, would Mallory like it and is it comfortable? You’ll find that I mostly design for knits, they’re so much more practical, not to mention comfortable. I have sewn up my fair share of patterns that used cotton wovens but I don’t reach for those nearly as much as the knits. No ironing needed when dressing with knits!
Mallory modeling an early Hip-Hop Tank prototype


Another thing I keep in mind when I design is modesty. Mallory is only 10 but we want to instill good habits and that means how she dresses now should be how she dresses for life as far as modesty goes. You won’t find me designing super short shorts & skirts, backless dresses or low-cut tops. That doesn’t mean she’ll be wearing turtlenecks and jeans, that just means we’re a little more careful about how much skin is showing. I currently have a pattern in testing with a small peek-a-boo back opening. Just the right about a fun and modesty, in my opinion.

My 'tween niece Jill modeling the dress from the Cartwheel Collection (soon to be released)

Mallory is a confident ‘tween in that she really doesn’t care what other people think about how she looks. I love that about her and I hope that attitude lasts forever. She’s definitely more of a trend setter in that way. Now, if I could just get her to brush her hair… ;)

Mallory modeling one of the first Trendy Tunic's made. Still her favorite thing in her closet.
Displaying LN_logo_rgb_150.png

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Love this tunic. Can;t wait to show it to my tween this evening (hard to find patterns that we both like). Can't wait to see your upcoming releases...

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!