Monday, January 27, 2014

Up-cycled Color-blocked Celestial Pullover--With a Review

Pin It
 Can I just say that I love to up-cycle/refashion/reuse?  I love going to thrift stores and clearance racks imagining the possibilities all for pennies on the dollar when it comes to fabric. It's a thrill. Needless to say, I love this challenge and interestingly enough my outfit looks VERY similar to the last go around of this challenge. And interestingly enough that dress still fits and it is one of her favorites. So why not go with the same color scheme again? 
Since Figgy's generously let us try one of their patterns that they have extended up to tween sizes (YEAH!), I thought that would be a great starting place.

May I present the Celestial Pullover Refashion of a Dress with an Up-cycled layering T to go with it.
It started with a dress of mine that I picked up from Target for 75% off. I liked the color and pattern of the fabric, but the dress itself was not very flattering.
From the dress I was able to cut the main part of the pullover (with a little extra piecing to get the cowl the right size). However, Sophia was hoping it would be a little longer. That's when we came up with the red color blocking on the bottom. I found some left over interlock knit I had laying around and it was perfect...color-wise and also because it was a little heavier than the gray which helped it to hang better. To add the length I just traced the curve of the bottom of the pattern and then measured equally all the way around to get the block. The tie from the dress can also be used now that the pullover is more tunic length, which she kind of liked.
Major Mama has already done a great review and covered the basics of what you need and the likes, so I won't go over that again. But I did want to share my thoughts with you about the Celestial Pullover by Figgy's.
 This was an amazingly easy pattern to put together. 2 pieces plus the cowl and the pockets (which you could omit if you wanted to throw together something really fast), but with great lines. What more could you ask for? Well the fact that Sophia LOVED it is just icing on the cake. She's already asked for a couple more and she wore it all day after I had her try it on. As she's gotten pickier with age, that is saying something.
The cowl is just perfect, not too tight around the neck, but not too loose that it looks too grown up on a 10 year old.  There is the high/low hem line that makes it look stylish (ignore the seam on my back piece--that's a result of using the dress. It had 2 side seams and then a seam at the back of the skirt part of...go figure, so I just had to make do).
But the nice thing is that with such a simple and basic pattern, you have more room to add your own personality...just look at the difference between mine and Major Mama's.
I didn't have the printing problem that Major Mama had, but I did have problems with the pockets hanging too low past the bottom hem. That could have been a result of the super stretchy knit I was using though and my daughter cramming her hands in too far.
My opinion...this pattern is definitely a 5 bolt one!
As for the layering t-shirt...I've been wanting to try this technique of making little hand warmers at the end of the sleeve for a while now. I used an old white t-shirt of mine that had gotten kind of stretched funny and just used one of Sophia's shirts as a pattern. I actually used the sleeves from the original shirt, just cutting them off where I needed as well as the bottom hem. Then I added some of the red knit on to the sleeves, following this tutorial of sorts (It's in Dutch, but that's what google translate if for, right?).
And there you have my Up-cycled look for this week at Project Run and Play.



12 comments:

  1. I always love your tween scene looks. I love the high low shirt and the thumby sleeve cuffs. Most of all, I love your daughters smile. Thanks for sharing!
    with love,
    -Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by! I kind of like her smile too.

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad she loves it--it makes all the hard work worth it :) and I especially love the cowl! I hope my girls will still let me sew for them when they get to be tweens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marnae, your girls will be there before you know it and with all of the amazing things you make them, I'm sure they'll want you to sew for them!

      Delete
  3. This looks so comfy and cute--the details make it really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does pass the comfy test...she doesn't want to take it off.

      Delete
  4. She certainly has that modelling pose down! I love the color scheme and the thumb holes on the sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days she gets into it and other days it's like pulling teeth to get her to even smile. Luckily she loved the outfit so that made it all a little easier. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. love those gaiters on the cuffs.
    have been using them in some of my stuff as well.
    really like to see sewing for the older kids.
    great work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is great - really looks like something many tweens would be happy to wear, love the lines, will definitely have to check this pattern out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. VERY tween scene indeed!! Great job!! I LOVE the cowl....

    ReplyDelete
  8. i LOVE the way that dress turned into such a great tween top... she looks so happy in it ;o) I'm loving project Run and PLay! I also linked up this week, a recycled Sweater...Emily@nap-timecreations

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!