Friday, April 25, 2014

Making old patterns new

Pin It Normally, I (Major Moma) like to buy a pattern that I think I can make over and over again.  There is just so much that you can do by changing up fabrics or trims that you can really make a fresh garment every time.   Yet, since starting Sew Cool with Sally, I have been buying a lot more patterns in order to be able to review new patterns that all of you may be interested in.  And as much as I like to pattern shop and support pre-teen patternmakers, it does get expensive.

So, when I wanted to whip up a couple of shorts for the summer, I realized I only had one pattern in my daughter's size and that I did not want to purchase another one just right now.  So, I took out that old, and well used pattern and figured out how to use it for this season.


In October 2013 I wrote a pattern review of this pattern; Simplicity 3813.  The pattern has multiple views and I had not yet sewn all of them, but I have been slowly through the years working my way through them and have sewn view A a couple times.  This was my first time sewing view E.

bubble shorts

The shorts are a bubble style, which seems to be quite popular right now and and this view the other shorts view have some nice details.  They do have a zipper fly and my daughter opted for a snap instead of a button closure.

bubble shorts


Even with all the details and zipper, it remains a moderately easy sew.  I think an adventurous beginner would do just great on these shorts.

I did make a few changes to make them suit my daughter.  And I think this is key.  When you have an old pattern like this, there are several adjustments, big and small, that you can do to make it fresh.  Because let's face it, we can't always go buy a new pattern.

The embroidery is from urbanthreads.com.


So what changes did I make?  First, I used adjustable waist elastic in the back so that they will fit her better and yet have room to grow.  Also, I changed up the pockets a bit borrowing from view G.  And, Abi likes her shorts longer (and I do too) so I lengthened the pink ones quite a bit and the brown ones just a little.

bubble shorts


The trims were some fun ribbons I bought in the $1 section at Target.  I am always looking for good deals on trims and when I saw these cute ribbons I grabbed them up even though I am sure they are for paper crafting.  Fun trims can really change up an old pattern too.

How do you change up your old patterns?  We would love to hear your tips!



1 comment:

  1. It's nice to be able to use a pattern over and over again. I like the idea of adding trim and changing the length to make an old pattern feel new!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!