Wednesday, September 25, 2013

BurdaStyle #149 Girl's Trousers

Pin It

These are the pants that Abi was wearing for my cotton candy meets sugar skull outfit that you can see HERE.  They are a skinny jean that I made from some reclaimed light wash jeans.  I died them with a tie dye technique using Rit dye.  I was hoping to do an ombre finish, but my daughter liked the funkiness of the tie-die technique much better.  Since she is the one that has to wear them, we went with her opinions.

The Review:

BurdaStyle #149 Girl’s Trousers



NOTE:  This pattern does not come with seem allowances.  You must draw your own.

Pattern source: You may purchase this pattern online at BurdaStyle.com.  

Sizes available:  This is truly a tween pattern, but it is a European pattern sized from 134-158.  Just so you know, my daughter wears a size 10 in US sizes and a 140 in European sizes.  European patterns in general and Burda specifically do run a little slimmer than a US pattern.  So, if your child is curvy, it is even more important that you pay attention to all her measurements.  Also, these pants in particular have a skinny leg.  My daughter is thin so I cut it out with the smallest size on the width but a 140 (second size) for the length.

BurdaStyle #149 Girl’s Trousers


Special materials requiredYou will need interfacing, a single button or snap, zipper, and a denim needle if you choose to make the pants jeans like I did.  The pattern does call for a pant weight fabric with some stretch.

Skill level requiredThe pattern is rated intermediate and deserves this rating.  The fly zipper in particular has very specific steps.  Burda does not have the best instructions but they are workable if you take it slow and not try to get ahead of yourself.  At one point I was confused, so I unzipped my own fly and looked at the construction.  The instructions then made sense and I continued on.  The end result was a very professional looking pair of pants.

BurdaStyle #149 Girl’s Trousers
front


How I came to choose the pattern: I love the styling of burda so I ‘window shop' often on BurdaStyle.  When I came across these pants I quickly downloaded them because there are so few pre-teen pants with a real zipper fly.  

Did you deviate from the pattern?  If yes, how?  Not a lot.  It was perfect as designed.  I did add some elastic to the back of the waist for my skinny girl.  I will add more length to them next time too because the fit just a little too perfect.  Also, I am considering adding zippers at the ankle just for some interesting styling on a future pair.


BurdaStyle #149 Girl’s Trousers
back
 


Overall pattern rating:  This is a (a top score) bolt pattern.  I loved this pattern!  It makes the perfect pair of skinny jeans for your tween.  They are not too fitted and allow for good play and have a super professional finish.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!