Monday, March 31, 2014

Pattern Review: Shirt With Bow Tie 08/2012 #152

Pin It
Ok, we just don't do enough for boys here.  But the problem is that Sally and I do not have tween boys.  Sally's boys are already well into the teenage years and my boy is only 6 years old.  To compensate, we try to have guest bloggers come over and give helpful hints and pattern reviews.  But there does not seem to be a lot out there.  Which is too bad because I love to sew for my boy and I hope he continues to greet his mom-made clothes with enthusiasm as he grows. 

This is the picture from Burdastyle.


Today I am sharing a pattern I made for my son but the sizes go up to 140 (European sizes) which is about a size 10.  Plus this pattern could easily be lengthened so if your son is thin, you probably would not have to make too many adjustments (length and shoulders).


The review:




Name of the pattern:  The pattern is called Shirt With Bow Tie 08/2012 #152 which is not that creative of a name.  I have not yet made the bow tie, but I plan to soon.



Pattern Source:  This pattern is a print at home .pdf that you can purchase at burdastyle.



Sizes available:  It comes in European sizes 116 through 140.

Special materials required:  You need eight buttons for this shirt, six down the front and two for the cuffs.  Also, you will need interfacing for the placket, cuffs, and collar pieces.



Skill level required:  The shirt is an intermediate level pattern.  This is actually my fourth time sewing it and the first did not look this good.

How you came to choose the pattern:  I am starting to have this be my go-to pattern for my son.  He likes to wear button up shirts and they are nice for church.  I have made him a couple out of flannel and this one is for Easter.  He picked out the fabric as he is a bit of a wild guy when it comes to fashion.

I used a decorative stitch to fancy up the yoke.

 Good:  I love the professional look that this pattern gives the end product.  I could buy dress shirts that look just like this but I love that I am able to make them so that they fit my slim guy and in the crazy fabrics that he prefers.


Bad:  That wrist placket is tricky.  Take your time and you will be fine.  Also, the pattern does not come with seam allowances, so you will have to add your own.  That is not hard, but it is annoying.

Overall pattern rating:  I give this pattern (5) bolts.  If you asked me the first time I sewed it, I probably would have only said 4.  But, I am coming to find out that the problem was not with the pattern, but with me.

3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love the wildness of the fabric he chose, too. Button downs can be a bit tricky at first, but once you get the hang of them they go together pretty painlessly.

    If you want me to do a guest post on tween boy sewing…just let me know. I've got fodder for a post on that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would love to have you guest post! Send us an email we will arrange something.

      Delete
  2. The shirt looks great! I admire his fabric choice...very funky! The decorative topstitching across the back yoke is a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments! How else would we know if we are being helpful or giving you the content you need and want? Also, if you have an idea on how to make custom pre-teen clothes, please tell us about it!